Flagg Creek Work Continues Through Downtown
Flagg Creek Water Reclamation District (FCWRD) is currently in the process of constructing a major sanitary relief sewer that runs through sections of Hinsdale, Westmont and Clarendon Hills. Work is currently taking place at the intersection of Ann Street and Eastern Avenue. The construction project includes more than $14 million in improvements that will help relieve sanitary sewer surcharging during heavy rainfalls.
The next street closure resulting from the project will take place near Park Avenue and Walker Avenue and is scheduled to take place shortly after September 7 and will be in place for four to six weeks. The construction will close Park Avenue between Walker Avenue and Walker alley. In addition, west-bound Park Avenue between Walker alley and South Prospect will be closed. Traffic traveling north on Walker Avenue will be able to access east-bound Park Avenue. Please also note that some parking will be blocked on Walker and Railroad Avenues. For a map of the project area, planned detours and updates on the construction, please visit the Villages.
School Zone Safety Reminders
The Clarendon Hills Police Department, in partnership with the Illinois Secretary of State, wants to remind all citizens of the need for safety near schools. Last year saw a dramatic increase in school bus loading zone fatalities in Illinois. Nearly half of the deaths occurred near school buses where motorists failed to stop for a bus with its red lights activated and stop sign extended.
Safety Alert for Students
- Never assume cars are going to stop for the flashing red lights of a school bus. Always look both ways and proceed with caution.
Safety Reminder for Motorists
- On a two-lane road, traffic coming from both directions must stop for a school bus.
- On a multiple-lane road, traffic traveling in the same direction must stop for a school bus.
- The general speed limit in a school zone drops to 20 miles per hour during school hours when children are present.
- It is unlawful for drivers to talk on cell phones while driving in a school zone.