Historically Spring is the best season to put your home on the market. Sometimes it’s not possible to wait until spring to list. One example: businesses often relocate employees during the fall, meaning you may need to move out of the area quickly with little notice.
Truth be told, while Spring is the time of year when both the weather and the housing market warms up, properties can also sell at fair prices (and quickly!) in the fall and winter months, too.
That being said, there are a few things to keep in consideration when selling your home in the autumn months.
- Try to get photos of the exterior of your home before the trees go bare and the grass begins to brown.
- Curb appeal still matters! Even if the frost prevents you from adding plants or flowers to your landscaping, you should at least keep leaves raked and the lawn mowed.
- It’s hard to sell a home that feels dark – and that goes for any home and any season. As the days get shorter, consider investing in additional lighting in and around your home for showings.
- Keep your seasonal decorations packed up – these can be a turn-off for buyers.
- Work with an experienced broker with a proven track record of favorable fall and winter sales.
An experienced broker can help you decide the best time to list your home based on your unique situation and timeline. The best thing you can do, if you’re considering listing your home in the fall, is to request a complimentary consultation with an area expert (like Mike McCurry Group!)
An expert in real estate will walk through your home and have a detailed conversation with you in order to best understand your needs and timeline for a move. You would then receive a valuation of your home based on the state of the market and the home’s current condition. At that point, an experienced broker would be able to give you an honest recommendation about when to list, and the best way to market the home given the time of year, target buyer, and your deadlines (if any) to move.
In any season of selling, but especially in fall and winter, time is of the essence.
Give us a call or request a complimentary pre-listing consultation online and let’s get moving!