Because of my decades of experience, I’m often approached by people interested in real estate advice. A common conundrum I’ve found people have: “Should we invest more money in this home? Or is it just time to move on?” And, of course, my response varies greatly from person to person. And, sometimes, my answer is, “do both! Renovate and move!”
Let me explain…
When it’s time to renovate
- If you love your current location
- If you currently have the square footage needed to make the home function for your family
- If you have the funds and/or DIY expertise to make your dream a reality
…a renovation may be all you need.
When it’s time to move
- If your family has outgrown your home
- If the location is not ideal or not in the school district you desire
- If you’ve entered a new phase of life that requires less space
- You don’t have the time, energy, vision, funds, or DIY acumen to create a home that fully serves your wants and needs through renovation
…it may be time to move. Remember, just because your home no longer works for you, doesn’t mean it isn’t perfect for someone else.
When it’s time to renovate and move
If it’s time to move (see common reasons above!) but your home is in need of some updates, it can be a wise investment to complete some small home improvement projects prior to listing so you get top dollar and potentially sell faster.
Increasing the resale value of your home can be a worthwhile investment that will bring return.
Common minor, cosmetic renovations that are low-cost but bring a high return on investment:
- Upgraded landscaping
- For example: fresh mulch, planting of flowering shrubs, installation of an updated walkway
- Minor bathroom remodel
- For Example: replacing vanity or hardware, updated lighting, refresh tilework and grout
- Minor kitchen remodel
- For example: refacing cabinets, new countertops, under cabinet lighting
- Exterior improvements
- For example: fresh exterior paint, new siding, new front door
If or when it’s time to move, give us a call! Mike McCurry Group’s complimentary pre-listing consultation includes a walk-through and professional valuation of your home in its current condition, recommendations for any small projects or staging tips that may help increase the recommended listing price, and expert insights into the current market including sale predictions.
Remember: there’s no obligation to sell or list with Mike McCurry should you take advantage of our complimentary pre-listing consultation! It’s a free service we provide in an effort to help people make meaningful moves.